Every celebration is a great opportunity to decorate your home. Decorating your house or apartment is guaranteed to boost your holiday spirits – especially if you made the decorations yourself! You don’t have to spend a lot of time or money wandering around the supermarkets: sometimes all you need is a piece of paper, some instructions and your own imagination. Our Thanksgiving craft ideas can give your home that special holiday charm while keeping you and your kids entertained.
We've gathered several original and simple craft ideas for this Thanksgiving: these are great for both kids and adults, so the whole family can be involved in the fun! Pick out your favourite DIY ideas, get yourself into the holiday spirit and let the decorating begin!
HOW TO MAKE A PAPER TURKEY
There's nothing that says Thanksgiving better than a turkey. Making a DIY paper turkey together with your kids is fun and the finished project makes a delightfully festive Thanksgiving decoration.
To make your paper turkey you will need:
- Multicolored construction paper or a ready-made paper template. You can either take a sheet of paper and draw the outlines of the bird yourself or download and print a cut-out.
- Colored pencils or crayons if you decide to go with white paper. You can skip this part if you choose to download a colored-in template or go with colored paper for your craft.
- Scissors to cut out the shapes.
- A bit of glue to assemble your Thanksgiving bird.
Each paper turkey has to have a body, a head, feathers and legs. Other things like eyes, beak and feet can be made using paper, beads or fuzzy sticks.
1. Trace the outline of the body with black marker for extra definition.
2. Carefully cut out all the pieces. If you decided to color in the turkey by hand this is the best time to do it - it will be much harder to color in the shapes once you’ve glued your turkey together (not to mention that it's fairly simple to break your craft when it's freshly glued!)
When everything is cut out and colored in, you’re ready to start assembling your project.
3. Glue the head to the body if they come in two separate pieces. Attach the legs to the body and glue on a pair of eyes and a beak. You can try giving it googly eyes to make your turkey extra funny-looking.
4. Give your turkey some wings and glue a bunch of feathers together to create a fuzzy tail.
5. Glue the tail feathers on and you’re all set. Let the glue fully dry for an hour or two before hanging up or playing.
THANKSGIVING PAPER DECORATION IDEAS
Besides the paper turkey, there are other simple Thanksgiving projects that will level up your holiday decor.
To make your house look extra festive, try making an autumn leaf garland. For this craft, you will need real or paper leaf cut-outs - draw them by hand or download and print out a template or stencil.
Make a Happy Thanksgiving banner with your kids: cut out a ready-made banner or take a bunch of big white sheets of paper and use your creativity to make a perfectly festive banner together! Another great idea for a children's craft is to frame their art in a Thanksgiving-themed page border.
Let your loved ones know that you care - a hand-made holiday-themed Thanksgiving card is guaranteed to impress anyone.
THANKSGIVING CRAFTS FOR ADULTS
Who said that only kids can enjoy a little bit of holiday DIY? There are many holiday-themed craft ideas that don't require spending an entire budget on the preparations.
Jazz up your Thanksgiving table with sophisticated festive place cards. Pinterest-inspired DIY pumpkin place cards or cute turkey place cards will definitely cheer your guests up!
The holidays are an opportunity to bond with your family: try making a Thanksgiving-themed family tree at your get-together. Sharing family stories and memories is guaranteed to bring you closer - and isn't that what Thanksgiving is for?