PASSPORT PHOTO TEMPLATES FOR PERSONS
Step 1: CHECK EYE AREA
AGED 10 AND OVER
• Line up template with upper left edge of photo
• Does the photo measure 35 x 45mm?
• Do the eyes lie within the horizontal grey band?
• Are the eyes roughly level?
Step 1: example
• Are the eyes open and clearly visible?
• Does the middle of the nose lie within the vertical
Step 2: CHECK SIZE OF FACE
Maximum height of eyes
• Move template so that the chin line touches the
bottom of the chin
• Does the top of the head lie within the darker grey
Minimum height of eyes
band (ideal face height)?
• Does the top of the head lie within the lighter grey
band (allowable face height)?
POSITION OF HEAD AND FACIAL EXPRESSION
Middle of the nose within dark grey band
• Is the head straight (not tilted or turned)?
• Head and shoulders facing forward?
• Neutral facial expression?
• Mouth closed?
Step 2: example
FOCUS AND CONTRAST
• Is the photo in sharp focus with proper contrast?
Maximum height of face tolerated
• Are face and background uniformly illuminated
Optimal height of face no more than 36mm
Optimal height of face no less than 32mm
Minimum height of face tolerated
• Plain background?
• Black-and-white or colour photos are acceptable
• With colour photos: does the colour reproduce the
natural skin tones?
• Is the photo clean, undamaged and free of creases?
• Are the eyes clearly visible and not covered?