News Story Analysis Worksheet
Directions: Using the NOW Online news story provided, analyze the content to learn more about
the topic as well as the process of writing an informational news story. Be as specific as possible with
all of your answers, referring back to the news story in your answers when appropriate.
1. What was the headline for the story?
2. Discuss the effectiveness of the headline in summarizing the story and getting the reader’s
3. Briefly describe the factual content of the story related to the lead: 5 W’s and the H.
4. How did the end of the story summarize the main ideas and provide closure for the reader?
5. Facts in a news story are supposed to be arranged from most to least important. Do you believe
the author did this effectively? Why?