IN-SCHOOL DEFERMENT REQUEST
OMB No. 1845-0005
Federal Family Education Loan Program
Exp. Date 05/31/2012
WARNING: Any person who knowingly makes a false statement or misrepresentation on this form or on any accompanying documents is subject to
penalties that may include fines, imprisonment, or both, under the U.S. Criminal Code and 20 U.S.C. 1097.
SECTION 1: BORROWER IDENTIFICATION
Please enter or correct the following information.
City, State, Zip Code
Telephone - Home (
Telephone - Other (
E-mail Address (Optional)
SECTION 2: DEFERMENT REQUEST
Before answering any questions, carefully read the entire form, including the instructions and other information in Sections 5 and 6.
I meet the qualifications for the deferment(s) checked below and request that my loan holder defer repayment of my loan(s) (check all that apply):
While I am enrolled FULL TIME at an eligible school. (For borrowers with any FFEL Program loan.)
While I am enrolled AT LEAST HALF TIME at an eligible school. (For borrowers who, on the date they signed the promissory note, did not have an outstanding balance on a
FFEL Program loan made before July 1, 1987; Federal PLUS Loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, are eligible regardless of when the oldest outstanding loan was
If I am a parent borrower of a Federal PLUS Loan first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, during the 6-month period after I cease to be enrolled at least half time at an eligible
SECTION 3: BORROWER UNDERSTANDINGS, CERTIFICATIONS, AND AUTHORIZATION
I understand that:
(1) I am not required to make payments of loan principal during my deferment. Interest will not be charged on my subsidized loan(s) during my deferment. However, interest will
be charged on my unsubsidized loan(s).
(2) I have the option of paying the interest that accrues on my unsubsidized loan(s) during my deferment.
(3) I may choose to make interest payments by checking the box below. My loan holder may capitalize interest that I do not pay during the deferment period.
I wish to make interest payments on my unsubsidized loan(s) during my deferment.
(4) My deferment will begin on the date I began full-time or at least half-time enrollment, as certified by the authorized official who completes Section 4 of this form, and will end on
the earlier of the date that I cease to meet the enrollment status requirement that qualifies me for the deferment, or the expected ending date of my qualifying enrollment status
as certified by the authorized official.
(5) If I am a graduate or professional student Federal PLUS Loan borrower, I will also receive a deferment on my Federal PLUS Loan(s) first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008
during the 6-month period after I cease to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.
(6) If I am a parent borrower of a Federal PLUS Loan first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008 and I request a deferment during the 6-month period after I cease to be enrolled on at
least a half-time basis, my deferment will begin on the day after I cease to be enrolled at least half time and will end 6 months after that date.
(7) If my deferment does not cover all my past due payments, my loan holder may grant me a forbearance for all payments due before the begin date of my deferment or—if the
period for which I am eligible for a deferment has ended—a forbearance for all payments due at the time my deferment request is processed.
(8) My loan holder may grant me a forbearance on my loans for up to 60 days, if necessary, for the collection and processing of documentation related to my deferment request.
Interest that accrues during the forbearance will not be capitalized.
I certify that: (1) The information I provided in Sections 1 and 2 above is true and correct. (2) I will provide additional documentation to my loan holder, as required, to support my
deferment status. (3) I will notify my loan holder immediately when the enrollment status that qualified me for the deferment ends. (4) I have read, understand, and meet the
eligibility criteria of the deferment for which I have applied.
I authorize the school, the lender, the guarantor, the Department, and their respective agents and contractors to contact me regarding my loan(s), including repayment of my
loan(s), at the current or any future number that I provide for my cellular telephone or other wireless device using automated telephone dialing equipment or artificial or prerecorded
voice or text messages.
SECTION 4: AUTHORIZED OFFICIAL’S CERTIFICATION
NOTE: As an alternative to completing this section, the school may attach its own enrollment certification report listing the required information.
I certify, to the best of my knowledge and belief, that the borrower named above:
(1) is/was enrolled as (check the appropriate box)
a full-time student or
at least a half-time student during the academic period from
(2) is reasonably expected to complete his/her program requirements on
Name of Institution
City, State, Zip Code
Name/Title of Authorized Official
Authorized Official’s Signature
Page 1 of 2