LEGAL DOCUMENT ASSISTANT
CONTRACT FOR SELF-HELP SERVICES
This is a contract between me, Connie Crockett, and you, ______________________________
for the self-help services described in Part I below. I am the “legal document assistant” and you
are the “client”.
1. You should read and understand this entire contract before you sign it. You should understand
the kinds of services that I can and cannot perform for you (see Part I below).
2. I am not an attorney. I cannot perform the legal services that an attorney performs. I
cannot engage in the practice of law.
3. The county clerk has not evaluated or approved my knowledge or experience, or the
quality of my work.
4. I cannot keep your original documents if you request that I return them to you. I cannot keep
your original documents if you and I do not sign this contract or if this contract terminates (ends)
for any reason. I cannot keep your original documents after all of the contract services have been
provided (see Part I below). It is a violation of California law if I keep your original documents
under any of these circumstances.
5. It is a violation of California law if I make any false or misleading statement to you.
6. I cannot obtain special favors from, and I do not have any special influence with, any court
or any state or federal agency.
7. As required by law, I have filed a bond or made a cash deposit and have registered as a legal
document assistant in each county where I will perform services on your behalf.
I. SELF-HELP SERVICES
Kinds of services that I can perform for you: I can perform the following self-help services for
you in connection with a legal matter in which you are representing yourself: I can type or
otherwise complete, as you specifically direct, legal documents that you have selected. I can
provide you general published factual information that was written or approved by an attorney,
to help you represent yourself. I can provide you published legal documents. I can file and serve
legal forms and documents as you specifically direct. I cannot provide for you any other
services. The abovementioned services are the only kinds of services that I can perform for you.
If you need additional services, then you require the services of an attorney. Kinds of services
that I cannot perform for you: I cannot provide you any self-help service unless you are
representing yourself in a legal matter and the self-help service relates to that legal matter. I
cannot engage in the practice of law meaning I cannot give you any kind of advice,
explanation, opinion or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses,
strategies or options that you may have. I cannot give you any advice, explanation, opinion
or recommendation regarding selection of forms.
I will provide you the following services:
Dissolution of Marriage
You are paying me only for those services listed above and no others. It is unlawful for me to
make any guarantee or promise to you unless it is written in this contract and unless I have a