Instructions For Forms W-2 And W-3 - Wage And Tax Statement And Transmittal Of Wage And Tax Statements - 2006


Notice to Employee
Clergy and religious workers. If you are not subject to
social security and Medicare taxes, see Publication 517,
Refund. Even if you do not have to file a tax return, you
Social Security and Other Information for Members of the
should file to get a refund if box 2 shows federal income tax
Clergy and Religious Workers.
withheld or if you can take the earned income credit.
Corrections. If your name, SSN, or address is incorrect,
Earned income credit (EIC). You must file a tax return if
correct Copies B, C, and 2 and ask your employer to correct
any amount is shown in box 9.
your employment record. Be sure to ask the employer to file
Form W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, with the
You may be able to take the EIC for 2006 if: (a) you do not
Social Security Administration (SSA) to correct any name,
have a qualifying child and you earned less than $12,120
SSN, or money amount error reported to the SSA on Form
($14,120 if married filing jointly), (b) you have one qualifying
W-2. If your name and SSN are correct but are not the same
child and you earned less than $32,001 ($34,001 if married
as shown on your social security card, you should ask for a
filing jointly), or (c) you have more than one qualifying child
new card at any SSA office or call 1-800-772-1213.
and you earned less than $36,348 ($38,348 if married filing
jointly). You and any qualifying children must have valid
Credit for excess taxes. If you had more than one
social security numbers (SSNs). You cannot take the EIC if
employer in 2006 and more than $5,840.40 in social security
your investment income is more than $2,800. Any EIC that
and/or Tier I railroad retirement (RRTA) taxes were withheld,
is more than your tax liability is refunded to you, but only
you may be able to claim a credit for the excess against
if you file a tax return. If you have at least one qualifying
your federal income tax. If you had more than one railroad
child, you may get as much as $1,648 of the EIC in advance
employer and more than $3,075.60 in Tier II RRTA tax was
by completing Form W-5, Earned Income Credit Advance
withheld, you also may be able to claim a credit. See your
Payment Certificate, and giving it to your employer.
Form 1040 or Form 1040A instructions and Publication 505,
Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.
(Also see Instructions for Employee
on the back of Copy C.)


00 votes

Related Articles

Related forms

Related Categories

Parent category: Financial