Form Ds-2029 - Application For Consular Report Of Birth Abroad Of A Citizen Of The United States Of America - U.s. Department Of State


U.S. Department of State
A Consular Report of Birth Abroad may be issued for any U.S. citizen child under the age of 18 who was born abroad
and who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth. Only the child's parent(s), legal guardian, person acting in loco parentis or
the child may apply on the child's behalf. The application generally must be signed before a U.S. consular officer, a
consular agent, or, in the case of children born in U.S. military hospitals, a designated military official. A Consular
Report of Birth Abroad is proof of U.S. citizenship; however,
it is not a travel document
and does not take the place
of a passport for travel purposes.
IMPORTANT: You MUST provide the required evidence listed below before we can process the application.
Please follow the instructions below.
STEP 1: Read the instructions before completing and submitting this application. The instructions contain important
information about completing the application and list what documents can be submitted as evidence to support the
STEP 2: Complete the application.
STEP 3: Make an appointment with the U.S. embassy or consulate online or contact the U.S. consular agency or
designated U.S. military official.
STEP 4: Assemble the required documentary evidence. Take the application and supporting documents with you to
your appointment at the U.S. embassy, consulate, consular agency, or with a military acceptance agent. NOTE: Do
not sign the application until you are before a designated U.S. consular official or military acceptance agent.
STEP 5: Once the citizenship claim has been approved, the Consular Report of Birth Abroad will be printed in the
United States and sent to the address you designate in the United States or the address you designate abroad in
countries where the mailing of U.S. citizenship documents is permitted unless you indicate that you will pick it up at the
U.S. embassy, consulate or consular agency.
You must submit
documents or
copies certified by the custodian of the record
. Generally, we will
return your documents after we have seen them.
We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.
When applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for a child who has never been documented as a U.S. citizen, the
documentary evidence listed below should be presented. In certain instances, additional evidence may be required.
Unless otherwise provided, all documentation submitted must be originals or certified copies of the originals bearing the
seal of the issuing vital records office, court, or other authority.
1. Child's birth certificate.
2. Evidence of the parent(s)' U.S. citizenship and identity. This may consist of a U.S. passport, U.S. passport card,
Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship or timely filed U.S. birth certificate.
For other forms of acceptable U.S. citizenship evidence, contact the U.S. consul. A passport or government issued
Photo ID must be presented as proof of identity.
3. Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent(s)' physical presence or residence in the United States prior to the birth of the
child. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to affidavits, school, employment, tax, bank, and medical records,
utility bills, rent receipts, or other official public documents. Evidence of time spent abroad working for the U.S.
government, U.S. Armed Forces or qualifying international organization, or as a dependent child of a person working
abroad for such entities prior to the birth of the child is also acceptable in some cases.
4. Parents' marriage certificate, if applicable.
5. Evidence of the termination of any previous marriages of the parents (divorce decree, annulment decree, or death
6. If a person other than a parent or the child is applying for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, the person must
present a certified copy of legal guardianship or notarized affidavit from the parent(s) authorizing the person to make
the application.
Instruction Page 1 of 2


00 votes

Related Articles

Related forms

Related Categories

Parent category: Legal
Page of 9