Form 735-226 Instructions - Application For Title And Registration


Title and Registration Instructions for
Vehicles New to Oregon
1. Complete and sign an Application for Title and Registration, form 735-226.
• Make sure you include the odometer reading and all security interest holders (any person or business you
owe money to because of a loan on the vehicle).
2. Submit the out-of-state title, Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO), or other original ownership
3. Get a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection if you have an out-of-state or out-of-country title or
ownership document.
• The inspection can be done at a DMV office. The fee is $7 when the inspection is done in Oregon.
• If the vehicle is out of state, the inspection can be done by the state’s DMV or a law enforcement officer.
4. Provide proof of compliance with the Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) requirement, if applicable.
• If you have a passenger vehicle that is a model year 2009 or newer and has 7,500 miles or less, you
must prove compliance or exemption. Electric, hybrid, and government-owned vehicles are exempt.
• Proof can usually be found either:
• On an MCO, by a statement indicating it conforms to U.S. or California emission standards; or
• Under the hood, by a label indicating it conforms to U.S. or California emission standards. The
label must be checked by DMV. This can be done at the same time as a VIN inspection.
• Other exemptions are listed on the Declaration of Exemption from the Oregon Low-Emission Vehicle
Requirement, form 735-7309. Complete and sign the form if the vehicle is exempt.
5. Submit a Certificate of Compliance for passing an emissions test at the Department of Environmental
Quality (DEQ) if you live in the Portland Metro Area or the Rogue Valley and are required to do so.
• You can get more information:
• On the DEQ website:
• By calling DEQ at: 877-476-0583
TDD (Hearing and Speech Impaired): Statewide Relay 7-1-1
6. Pay all applicable title, registration and plate fees, as listed on page 2 of these instructions.
If the vehicle has an out-of-country title or ownership document, DMV also needs:
7. Proof that the vehicle meets U.S. Federal Vehicle Standards.
Proof can be:
• A U.S. Customs and Border Protection Form CF7501 or CBP7501;
• An Original letter from the manufacturer;
• For vehicles imported by the U.S. military or U.S. military personnel, a written notice or form issued by
the U.S. military; or
• The vehicle labels viewed by DMV. This can be done at the same time as a VIN inspection.
8. Complete and sign a Certification of Liens on an Imported Vehicle, form 735-6436.
Submit your application, supporting documents and fees to an Oregon DMV office or mail them to:
Oregon DMV
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
If the security interest holder is holding the title, send them the completed documents, fees, and the
Security Interest Holder letter, form 735-6603L.
The letter asks the security interest holder to send the title, documents and fees to DMV.
DO NOT mail your application to DMV without the title, it will be returned to you unprocessed.
735-6603 (1-18)
STK# 300322


00 votes

Related Articles

Related forms

Related Categories

Parent category: Legal
Page of 3