Instructions For Form I-821 - Application For Temporary Protected Status


Instructions for
Application for Temporary Protected Status
Form I-821
Department of Homeland Security
OMB No. 1615-0043
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Expires 03/31/2019
What Is the Purpose of Form I-821?
If you are an eligible national of certain countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security (Secretary) has designated for
Temporary Protected Status (TPS) or a person without nationality who last habitually resided in the designated country,
then you may apply for TPS by filing Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status. This form is also used if
you have TPS and are filing for TPS re-registration.
Do NOT use Form I-821 to request Consideration Of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Form I-821D
must be used to request DACA. Form I-821 is only used to apply for Temporary Protected Status (TPS).
When Should I Use Form I-821?
Use Form I-821 when registering initially or re-registering for TPS.
Do I Have to Request Employment Authorization with My Form I-821?
If you want to request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), you must file Form I-765, Application for
Employment Authorization, with your Form I-821.
You may wait to file a Form I-765 until after USCIS decides your TPS application. However, please note that if you wait
to request an EAD until after USCIS grants TPS or approves re-registration, you will not receive your EAD (assuming
you are eligible) until several weeks after you file the Form I-765.
Who May File Form I-821?
You must be an eligible national of a foreign state (or a person having no nationality who last habitually resided in a
foreign state) that the Secretary has designated for TPS under section 244(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act
(INA). You should check with the nearest U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office for countries
currently designated for TPS and for information pertaining to re-registration periods, or visit the USCIS website at
Who Is Eligible For TPS?
To be eligible for TPS, you must be admissible to the United States as an immigrant under the applicable grounds in INA
section 212(a), with certain exceptions. USCIS may grant discretionary waivers for some, but not all of the applicable
inadmissibility grounds (See the What Waivers are Available For TPS section of these Instructions.)
Form I-821 Instructions 10/19/17 N
Page 1 of 18


00 votes

Related Articles

Related forms

Related Categories

Parent category: Legal