Form 8879-EMP (Rev. 2-2017)
• Return the completed Form 8879-EMP to the ERO. The
acceptable delivery methods include hand delivery, U.S. mail,
For the latest information about developments related to Form
private delivery service, email, Internet website, and fax.
8879-EMP and its instructions, such as legislation enacted after
Note: The return won't be transmitted to the IRS until the ERO
they were published, go to
receives the signed Form 8879-EMP.
Purpose of Form
Important Notes for EROs
Use Form 8879-EMP if you and the electronic return originator
• Don't send Form 8879-EMP to the IRS unless requested to do
(ERO) want to use a personal identification number (PIN) to
so. Retain the completed Form 8879-EMP for 4 years from the
electronically sign an electronic employment tax return.
return due date or IRS received date, whichever is later.
If applicable, Form 8879-EMP is also used to authorize an
• Enter the taxpayer's PIN on the input screen only if the
electronic funds withdrawal. If you don't use Form 8879-EMP to
taxpayer has authorized you to do so.
sign the return, you must use Form 8453-EMP, Employment Tax
Declaration for an IRS e-file Return. For more information, see
• Provide the taxpayer with a copy of the signed Form 8879-
the Form 8453-EMP instructions.
EMP upon request.
Don't send this form to the IRS. The ERO must retain Form
• Provide the taxpayer with a corrected copy of Form 8879-EMP
if changes are made to the return (for example, based on the
• See Pub. 4163, Modernized e-File (MeF) Information for
The ERO will:
Authorized IRS e-file Providers for Business Returns.
• Enter the name and employer identification number as shown
on Form 940, 940-PR, 941, 941-PR, 941-SS, 943, 943-PR, 944,
Paperwork Reduction Act Notice. We ask for the information
on Form 8879-EMP to carry out the Internal Revenue laws of the
United States. You're required to give us the information. We
• Complete Part I by checking the box for the type of return
need it to ensure that you're complying with these laws and to
being filed and entering the amounts from the return being filed.
allow us to figure and collect the right amount of tax.
Zeros should only be entered if the return contains zeros.
Otherwise, if the line on the return is blank, leave the
You're not required to provide the information requested on a
corresponding line in Part I blank.
form that is subject to the Paperwork Reduction Act unless the
form displays a valid OMB control number. Books or records
• Enter on the authorization line in Part II the ERO firm name
relating to a form or its instructions must be retained as long as
(not the name of the individual preparing the return) if the ERO
their contents may become material in the administration of any
is authorized to enter the taxpayer's PIN.
Internal Revenue law. Generally, tax returns and return
• Give the taxpayer Form 8879-EMP for completion and review.
information are confidential, as required by Internal Revenue
The acceptable delivery methods include hand delivery, U.S.
Code section 6103.
mail, private delivery service, email, Internet website, and fax.
The time needed to complete this form will vary depending
• Complete Part III, including a signature and date.
on individual circumstances. The estimated average time is:
Form 8879-EMP must be completed and signed
. 2 hr., 37 min.
before the electronic return is transmitted (or
Learning about the law
released for transmission).
or the form .
. 6 min.
Preparing the form
. 9 min.
If you have comments concerning the accuracy of these time
The taxpayer filing Form 940, 940-PR, 941, 941-PR, 941-SS,
estimates or suggestions for making Form 8879-EMP simpler,
943, 943-PR, 944, or 945 has the following responsibilities.
we would be happy to hear from you. You can send us
• Verify the type of return being filed in Part I.
comments from Click on More
Information and then click on Give us feedback. Or you can
• Verify the accuracy of the return.
send your comments to Internal Revenue Service, Tax Forms
• Check the appropriate box in Part II to either authorize the
and Publications Division, 1111 Constitution Ave. NW, IR-6526,
ERO to enter your PIN or to choose to enter it in person.
Washington, DC 20224. Don't send Form 8879-EMP to this
address. Instead, keep it for your records.
• Indicate or verify the PIN when authorizing the ERO to enter it
(the PIN must be five numbers other than all zeros).
• Sign, date, and print your name and title in Part II.