Measuring for Proper Fit
The following guidelines are important to remember in measuring for proper fit.
• Give all measurements in inches.
• If the person’s measurements are between sizes, order the larger size. For example: if a man’s
neck measures 15
inches you should order size “large” in a short sleeve shirt or a “16-16
in a long sleeve shirt.
• For greatest accuracy, have someone take measurements rather than allowing customers to
• The tape measure should be pulled snug, not tight.
• Check the size scale of all garments being ordered to ensure that all measurements were taken
at the proper points.
• NECK: Measurement is the circumference of the neck as illustrated.
• SLEEVE LENGTH: Measured by placing one end of the tape at the bottom of the collar at the
center of the back and marking the distance around the elbow to the bottom of the wrist. It is
often helpful to have the arm slightly bent.
• CHEST: Taken at the fullest point of the chest , keeping tape under arms and around shoulder
blades. Hold tape level and firmly but not tight.
MEN’S TROUSERS, JEANS AND BIB OvERALLS
• WAIST: Measurement is taken at the top of the hipbone over shirt (not over pants). Tape should
be held snug not tight.
• INSEAM: Measurement is taken from the base of the crotch to the top of the shoe or boot.
For jeans, add one inch.
• It is advisable to ask the person being measured how he or she wears their trousers. Not
everyone wears their trousers or jeans the same length or height on their hips.
• CHEST SIZE: Taken at the fullest point of the chest, keeping tape under arms and around shoulder
blades. This measurement should be taken over clothing, preferably over same garment or types
of garments to be worn with the jacket.
• SLEEVE LENGTH: Measured by placing one end of the tape at the bottom of the collar at the center
of the back and marking the distance around the elbow to the outer edge of the wrist.
• CHEST: Measurement is taken at the fullest point of the bust. Measure across shoulder blades
with arms relaxed down at sides, keeping tape parallel to the floor. Hold tape level and firmly
but not tight.
• WAIST: Measurement is taken around the natural waistline. Keep the measuring tape
• HIP: Measurement is taken by standing with heels together. Keep tape straight and parallel to the
floor, measure around the fullest part. • INSEAM: Measure from the base of the crotch to the top
of the shoe.
Size Conversion Charts
SHIRT AND COVERALLS
TROUSER, JEANS, BIB OVERALLS
158 | MEASURING FOR PROPER FIT / SIZE CHARTS