Finding Temperature Changes
Solve each problem.
A n s w e r s
1) A weather station predicted the temperature on Saturday would be 85°F. If the actual
temperature was 11° colder than their prediction, what temperature was it?
2) A scientist had a liquid that was 90°F. If he needed to heat it up another 20° for an
experiment, what temperature was he trying to make the liquid?
3) Sarah set the thermostat in her house to 72°F, which was 16° cooler than the temperature
outside. What temperature was it outside?
4) Sarah heated up a slice of pizza in the microwave. Before she put it in, the pizza was 66°F.
If it was 102° F when she took it out, how much did the microwave heat it?
5) The instructions to cook a pizza say to set the oven at 343°F. If Sarah set her oven 14°
warmer than the instructions said, what temperature did she set her oven?
6) Sarah measured the temperature of her soda and found that it was 96°F. After putting it in
her freezer for an hour it was 78°F. How much did the freezer cool her soda down?
7) The average temperature for January was 78°F. The average temperature for February was
20° colder. What was the average temperature for February?
8) The temperature inside a truck was 90°F. After sitting in the sun for an hour the
temperature rose to 110° F. How much did the truck warm up?
9) Tommy read in his science book about a planet that was 242°F during the day but at night
the temperature dropped 79°. What temperature was the planet at night?
10) A city in Alaska had a temperature of 67°F during the day, but at night the temperature
dropped 24°. What temperature was it at night?
1-10 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0