17. Carolina collected the following data about how many hours her classmates
sleep every night. Use the chart to find the mean absolute deviation.
18. A skydiver jumps out of the plane when the plane flies to the jump altitude.
Usually the jump altitude is around 4,000 meters. The skydiver deploys the
parachute when he or she reaches an altitude of 760 meters. What is the
distance between the point at which the skydiver jumps from the plane and the
point at which the parachute is deployed?
19. Tina works at Burger-Rama 6 days a week. She earns $8 an hour as a full-time
employee and must work 40 hours a week. For each hour she works overtime,
she earns 1 ½ her normal wage. Write an expression for her total earnings if Tina
works 45 hours. How much will she earn?
20. A dolphin is swimming at 250 feet below sea level. It descends 145 feet and then
ascends 90 feet. Where is the dolphin located now?
21. You received $20 for your allowance this week. You went to the mall with your
friend and spent $15 on a t-shirt with a picture of your favorite band. You and
your friend decided to grab a bite to eat at the food court. Your meal cost $12 so
you had to borrow money from your friend. Write an integer to represent the
amount of money you owe your friend.
22. Plot the following rational numbers on a number line. Write the numbers in order
from least to greatest using comparative symbols.
, −3.5, 2
23. In the game of Jeopardy you earn points for a correct response and lose points
for an incorrect response. What would be the contestant’s score after the
following 4 responses: $300 correct, $200 incorrect, $200 correct, and $100
24. On a coordinate map, Alex’s restaurant is located at (-2, 5). The bowling alley is
located at (8, 5). What is the distance between Alex’s restaurant and the bowling
alley on the map?
25. At University Hospital, the parking garage is located under the building below
ground level. You park your car on parking level 3 which is at an elevation of -27
feet. You visit your friend whose room is on the fourth floor which is at an
elevation of 48 feet. What is the distance from parking level 3 to the fourth floor?
26. The temperature at noon was -53C in Siberia. The temperature dropped 15 by
midnight. What was the temperature at midnight?
27. A cube has a side length of 3 cm. Write an expression to represent the volume of
the cube in exponential form. Evaluate the expression.
28. Mobile Phones charges $19 a month for cellular phone service. They also charge
an initial set up fee of $25 for each contract. If x represents the number of
months, write an algebraic expression to represent how much you will pay for 2
~ 3 ~
NJ Center for Teaching and Learning