VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
DIVISION OF SPECIAL EDUCATION AND STUDENT SERVICES
Your Family’s Special Education Rights
VIRGINIA PROCEDURAL SAFEGUARDS NOTICE
SPECIAL EDUCATION PROCEDURAL SAFEGUARDS REQUIREMENTS
Revised September 2013
This document amends the October 2012 Procedural Safeguards Document of the Virginia
Department of Education (VDOE). The revisions reflect the mandates as found in the:
• Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEA; P.L. 108-446; 20
USC § 1400 et seq.) Issued December 3, 2004; effective July 1, 2005.
• Federal Regulations implementing IDEA. 34 CFR Part 300. Issued August 14, 2006;
effective October 13, 2006.
• Additional federal IDEA regulations; 34 CFR Part 300; Federal Register, Vol. 73, No. 231.
Issued December 1, 2008; effective December 31, 2008.
• Additional federal IDEA regulations; 34 CFR Part 300; Federal Register, Vol. 78, No. 31.
Issued February 14, 2013; effective March 18, 2013.
• Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in
Virginia (Virginia Regulations). 8 VAC 20-81-10 et seq. Issued and effective July 7, 2009.
This document conforms to the U.S. Department of Education’s Model Procedural Safeguards
Notice (June 2009 revised) and includes specific Virginia requirements that must be included in
Additional information about special education and these procedural safeguards is available by
contacting the local director of special education or school principal, your local school division’s
Parent Resource Center, the Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center (PEATC), or
VDOE’s Office of Dispute Resolution and Administrative Services, 804-225-2013. This
document is also available at:
Toll free voice: 800-422-2083
Toll free TDD: