Chemistry Test Review – Water and Solubility
1. ______Hydrogen_______ bonding occurs when the positive hydrogen end and the negative oxygen
end of the water molecule attract.
2. Hydrogen bonding is responsible for which three unique characters of water?
High Boiling Point, High surface tension, More dense as a liquid than a solid
3. What is surface tension? Give an example
Surface tension is the inward force that minimizes the
surface area of a liquid; surface tension allows water bugs to walk on the surface of the water
4. A _____surfactant_____ decreases surface tension
5. What is considered the universal solvent?
6. Draw the molecule of water and indicate the polar ends of water.
Types of Mixtures
1. Rank the terms “Suspension” “Solution” and “Colloid” in order of smallest particle size to largest
Solutions have the smallest particles, Colloids are in between and Suspensions have the largest
2. Define Tyndall Effect. What two types of mixtures can it be used to distinguish from each other?
The Tyndall Effect states that light scatters as it is shined through a colloid. This distinguishes
between colloids and solutions.
3. What is a solution considered if it conducts electricity? If it does not conduct electricity?
Electrolytes conduct electricity and Nonelectrolytes do not conduct electricity
The Solution Process
1. In sweet tea, what would be the solute and what would be the solvent?
Solute – Tea & Sugar
Solvent – Water
2. Define saturated solution.
A saturated solution has dissolved all of the solute it can hold at a given temperature; it’s full
3. Explain how you can make a supersaturated solution.
Supersaturated solutions require both heating and stirring to dissolve more solute than it should
4. What are the three factors that increase the rate of dissolving a solute?
Stirring the solution, Heating the solution, Crushing the solute