2015-16 ELA Teacher: _______________________________________________
Grade Summer Reading Log
Due to your English Language Arts Teacher on the first day of school.
DIRECTIONS: You are required to track your reading and thinking this summer by completing the Summer Reading Log below.
• You must include at least 10 fully developed, thoughtful entries. Entries must include events from the beginning, middle, and end of the book.
• Your comments must…
o be written in complete sentences,
o explain your thinking,
o be fully developed thoughts about inferences, predictions, signpost notes,
o and include textual evidence.
o DO NOT SIMPLY WRITE ONE SENTENCE. DO NOT PROVIDE A SUMMARY OF WHAT HAPPENED. YOUR THINKING IS WHAT COUNTS
• Feel free to add additional sheets of paper as needed.
Book Title: _________________________________________________
# of Pages in the Book: ______________
Tracking Your Thinking as You Read AND Provide Textual Evidence
Comments may include but are not limited to…
• A signpost I noticed is _______ and it made me think _______
• I predict ________ will happen because _______
• I’m confused about _______ because ________
• This reminds me of ___________ because ___________
• I love the part when ___________ because __________