7th & 8th Grade Reading Log
Homeroom Teacher: ________________________________
Students are limited to two books from the same series and same genre. Each book must be at least 150 pages and if a book is more than 300 pages, it is
equivalent to two books from that particular genre. Choose a reading response prompt for each book read (found below). Each reading response prompt may
be used twice. Students who read 2 or more books each quarter are invited to a pizza party where their name will be dropped into a raffle for a gift card for
free movie tickets.
Genres & Genre Codes
Science Fiction (SF)
Historical Fiction (HF)
Traditional Literature (TL)
Realistic Fiction (RF)
Reading Response Prompts
1. Compare two characters in the book to each other by describing their similarities and their differences. Provide evidence from the text.
2. Summarize one of the chapters you read.
3. How would a different setting affect the story? Use your background knowledge, along with text proof/evidence to support your answer.
4. Which character changed the most by the end of the book? Why?
5. How is this book similar to another book you have read? Provide specific examples.
6. Find examples of figurative language (simile, metaphor, personification, cliche, etc.) in the text. Write them down.
7. What advice would you give a character in this book? Why? How would this change the plot of the story?
8. How does the character's actions affect other people in the story? Provide specific examples from the text.
9. What are 2 new facts you learned about the topic? (Informational/nonfiction text)
10. Write about 2 text features that you found in the informational text. What did you learn from each one? (Ex. I learned from a photograph that a frog can