Quiz: Solutions and Solubility
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1. What percentage of all water on Earth is fresh liquid water?
a. about 25 %
b. less than 1 %
c. over 97 %
d. about 50 %
2. Which of the following statements about the characteristics of solutions is accurate?
a. The solute is the component of the solution that is present in the greatest quantity.
b. Solutions can be solids, liquids, or gases.
c. Only one phase is visible in a heterogeneous mixture.
d. A dilute solution contains a relatively large quantity of solute per unit volume of solvent.
3. Which of the following statements about the dissolving process is accurate?
a. For a substance to dissolve, solute-solvent attractions must overcome the attractions within
both solute and solvent.
b. Surfactant ions have a hydrophilic end that is repelled by water.
c. Immiscible liquids mix to form a solution.
d. Solutes dissolve in solvents of dissimilar polarities.
4. Which of the following terms refers to a solution that contains the maximum quantity of solute at a given
a. supersaturated solution
b. aqueous solution
c. saturated solution
d. unsaturated solution
5. Based on the solubility curve shown here, which of the following terms best describes a solution at 60 C that
contains 200 g sucrose/100 g of water?
d. none of the above