Black History Challenge Answer Key
1. Phillis Wheatley published a collection of poetry in ____________.
2. ____________ was an inventor who helped design Washington, D.C.
a. Benjamin Banneker
3. Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable is considered the father of ____________.
4. In 1909,____________ , along with Robert Peary and a group of Inuit guides,
was the first to reach the North Pole.
a. Matthew Henson
5. W.E.B. DuBois was one of the founders of ____________.
a. the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
6. Garrett Morgan invented gas masks and ____________.
a. the automatic traffic light
7. When the Daughters of the American Revolution wouldn’t let her sing in
Constitution Hall in 1939, ____________ gave a concert on the steps of the
b. Marian Anderson
8. ____________ was the first African American to win the Nobel Peace Prize.
a. Ralph Bunche
9. ____________ was the first African American Supreme Court Justice.
b. Thurgood Marshall
10. In 1993, ____________ won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
c. Toni Morrison