INVOLUNTARY ALLOTMENT NOTICE AND PROCESSING
PRIVACY ACT STATEMENT
AUTHORITY: 5 USC 5520a, EO 9397.
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE(S): To notify a member of the Armed Services or the Coast Guard of an involuntary allotment application against the
member's disposable pay; to provide the member an opportunity to respond to the involuntary allotment application; and to provide for
action by the member's commander to forward the member's response to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (or the Coast
Guard Pay and Personnel Center) and, as appropriate, to make determinations concerning exigencies of military duty; and to provide for
appeals of exigency determinations.
ROUTINE USE(S): None.
DISCLOSURE: Voluntary; however, failure to provide a response may result in the involuntary allotment of the member's disposable pay.
1. These instructions govern notice and processing of an application for an involuntary allotment from the pay of a member of the Armed
Forces or the Coast Guard under 5 USC 5520a.
2. Section I, item 1 is to be completed by the designated Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) (or Coast Guard Pay and
Personnel Center) representative. After completing this section, the representative will mail the form, along with two copies of the
DD Form 2653, "Involuntary Allotment Application" and associated paperwork, to the commander of the member identified, and one copy
to the member.
3. Upon receipt, the commander will determine if the member identified in Section I is in his or her unit. If the member is no longer
assigned or available, or, after receiving the notice required by Section III, requests an extension to respond that is granted, the commander
will complete Section II. If the member is no longer available under Section II, item 3, the commander will return the entire form and
application package to DFAS (or the Coast Guard Pay and Personnel Center); if an extension is authorized under Section II, item 4, that will
cause the member's response to be received by DFAS (or the Coast Guard Pay and Personnel Center) later than the date the response is
due, then the commander must immediately provide a copy of Sections I and II to DFAS (or the Coast Guard Pay and Personnel Center).
The address for mailing is: "DFAS, Cleveland Center, Code L, PO Box 998002, Cleveland, OH 44199-8002" (or other address as specified
by DFAS). For the Coast Guard, the address is: "Coast Guard Pay and Personnel Center (LGL), 444 S.E. Quincy Street, Topeka, KS
66683-3591." If the member is assigned, the commander will provide the member a complete copy of
DD Form 2653, "Involuntary Allotment Application," and counsel the member in accordance with Section III, items 7a - g.
4. After counseling, the commander will complete Section III, item 8, and the member will complete Section III, item 9. The commander
will then make and retain one copy of the form with Section III completed. After obtaining a copy, the commander will provide the member
the signed original and advise the member to complete Section IV prior to the date the commander specifies that the member's response is
5. The member will complete Section IV and return the original form and accompanying evidence or additional matters, if any, to the
commander on or before the due date as specified by the commander.
6. Following receipt of the member's response, the commander will complete Section V and forward the original form, to include any
additional evidence or other matters from the member, to DFAS (or the Coast Guard Pay and Personnel Center) at the address listed in
paragraph 3 above. Note, if the member fails to respond by the due date, the commander will complete Section V on a copy of the
DD Form 2654 previously retained in accordance with the instructions in paragraph 4 above, and forward the form to DFAS (or the Coast
Guard Pay and Personnel Center).
7. Within 5 working days from the date of forwarding to DFAS (or the Coast Guard Pay and Personnel Center), the commander will provide
the member a copy of the completed DD Form 2654.
SECTION I - NOTIFICATION OF APPLICATION FOR INVOLUNTARY ALLOTMENT
1. MEMBER IDENTIFICATION
a. NAME (Last, First, Middle Initial)
d. BRANCH OF SERVICE
2. DATE RESPONSE DUE (YYYYMMDD) (If not received by this date, an involuntary allotment may be automatically processed.)
SECTION II - COMMANDER'S DETERMINATION OF MEMBER'S AVAILABILITY AND EXTENSIONS TO RESPOND
3. MEMBER AVAILABILITY
I received this form and an application for an involuntary allotment from the pay
(date - YYYYMMDD),
of the member identified. The above named member is not available for purposes of processing an involuntary allotment
because the member is as indicated below. Official documentation supporting this determination is attached.
a. Retired (Including placement on the Temporary or Permanent Disabled Retired List).
b. In a prisoner of war status.
c. In a missing in action status.
d. Not assigned or attached to this unit or organization.
DD FORM 2654, DEC 1999
PREVIOUS EDITION IS OBSOLETE.
Page 1 of 4 Pages
Adobe Professional 7.0