FFICE OF THE
SECRETARY OF STATE
APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY
TO DO BUSINESS IN MISSOURI
A foreign corporation may not transact business in Missouri until it obtains a certificate of authority.
Before applying for a certificate to do business in Missouri, you may wish to review Section 355.752
(available online at sos.mo.gov/business/corporations/statutes.asp), which describes certain activities that
are not considered transacting business within the meaning of this statute and its requirements. If you are
exempt, you may still be responsible for filings with other agencies.
Enclosed are forms upon which you may apply for a certificate of authority. In completing the form, the
following will assist you:
1. You must use our forms, as required by law.
2. Forms must be accompanied by a current “Certificate of Good Standing/Existence” (within 60 days)
from the parent state. This must be an original with original seals and signatures. This certificate can
normally be obtained from the parent state’s Secretary of State or authority which issues corporate
charters, for a fee.
3. The fee is $155.00. (The check should be made payable to Director of Revenue)
4. By law, the corporation must list a registered agent and the agent’s address in Missouri. The registered
agent may be an individual or corporation registered in Missouri. A corporation may not serve as its
own registered agent.
5. The necessary documents should be sent to Secretary of State, Corporation Division, P.O. Box 778,
Jefferson City, MO 65102. For express mailings which require a street address, use 600 West Main,
Jefferson City, MO 65101.
If you have any questions, please contact us toll-free at (866) 223-6535.
Secretary of State
Ltr. 6A (08/04)
J a m e s C . K i r k pat r i c k S tat e I n f o r m at i o n C e n t e r
600 W. Main Street, Room 322 • Jefferson City 65101