Finding Temperature Changes
Solve each problem.
A n s w e r s
1) An industrial machine is 220°F when it's being used. After being unused for an hour the
machine cools down 56°. What temperature is the machine after it cools down?
2) The temperature inside a car was 108°F. After turning on the air conditioner the
temperature dropped 21°. What temperature was it after the air conditioner was turned on?
3) Sarah poured a glass of tea that was 99°F. After she added some ice cubes the temperature
dropped to 79°F. How much did the ice cool down her tea?
4) A news station reported that the current temperature was 124°F, but when the cold front
came in later, the temperature would drop down to 81°F. How much will the cold front
reduce the temperature?
5) A desert in Africa had an average temperature last year of 130°F. If the average
temperature this year was 18° warmer, what is the average temperature this year?
6) Sarah set the thermostat in her house to 93°F, which was 17° warmer than the temperature
outside. What temperature was it outside?
7) The temperature inside a store was 69°F. If the temperature outside the store was 16°
warmer, what temperature was it outside?
8) When Sarah went to the park at 2:30 it was 81°F. By the time she left it had gotten 19°
warmer. What temperature was it when she left the park?
9) The temperature at 7:00 PM was 91°F. By 11:00 PM it had cooled down 17°. What was the
temperature at 11:00 PM?
10) When Tommy went to the beach in the morning it was 56°F. When he came back later in
the afternoon it was 70°F. What is the difference in temperature between the morning and
1-10 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0