Finding Temperature Changes
Solve each problem.
A n s w e r s
1) The instructions to cook a turkey say to set the oven at 344°F. If Sarah set her oven 16°
cooler than the instructions said, what temperature did she set her oven?
2) A desert in Africa had an average temperature last year of 115°F. If the average
temperature this year was 15° warmer, what is the average temperature this year?
3) An industrial machine is 184°F when it's being used. After being unused for an hour the
machine cools down to 135°F. How much does the machine cool down?
4) A scientist had a liquid that was 60°F. If he needed it to be 79°F for an experiment, how
much would he need to heat it up?
5) The temperature inside a truck was 81°F. After sitting in the sun for an hour the
temperature rose to 105° F. How much did the truck warm up?
6) When Sarah went to the park at 2:30 it was 87°F. By the time she left it had gotten 18°
warmer. What temperature was it when she left the park?
7) In July, the average temperature in Florida was 110°F, while the average temperature in
California was 12° cooler. What was the average temperature in California?
8) On Sunday it was 78°F. On Monday it was 15° colder. What temperature was it on
9) Sarah measured the temperature of her soda and found that it was 47°F. After sitting out
for an hour it had warmed 22°. What temperature was the soda after an hour?
10) Sarah heated up a slice of pizza in the microwave. Before she put it in, the pizza was 58°F.
If it was 94° F when she took it out, how much did the microwave heat it?
1-10 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0