Career Services Center
261 Schwartz Center
Resumes & Cover Letters
The attached resume and letter samples are provided to assist you with ideas for layout
and content for creating your own, one of a kind resume and cover letter.
(Pages 2 – 19)
Miscellaneous layout/content samples
A functional resume is beneficial when:
• much of your work has been volunteer, free-lance, consulting, or temporary
• you have a variety of different, relatively disconnected work experiences
• career growth has been stagnant or there has been an extended absence
• making a career change and you want to emphasize skills not recently utilized
• you are a mature professional with extensive expertise and many work experiences
A functional resume is NOT beneficial when:
• a career growth pattern is able to be demonstrated
• listing specific employers is important, as in highly traditional fields
• a limited number of functions have been performed
• recent employers are highly prestigious
View a sample format for providing names of references with your resume.
(Pages 22 – 26)
Don’t feel like you need to reinvent the wheel.
Gain inspiration from a few examples in order to develop your own cover letters.
For more help, visit or Career Services, 261 Schwartz Center