Irs Publication 1450 - Instructions On How To Request A Certificate Of Release Of Federal Tax Lien


Instructions on How to Request a
Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien
Section 6325(a) of the Internal Revenue Code directs us to release a Federal Tax Lien after a liability becomes
fully paid or legally unenforceable. We also must release a lien when we accept a bond for payment of the tax.
If we have not released the lien within 30 days, you can ask for a Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien.
Requesting a Copy of the Certificate
If you have paid the tax you owed and have not received a copy of the Certificate of Release of Federal Tax
Lien, you may call 1-800-913-6050 to check on the status of the release. If you prefer to write, see page 2 for
the address to which your request should be mailed or faxed.
The certificate you receive will not show the official recording information. For a copy of the recorded certificate,
you must contact the recording office where the Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien was filed.
Requesting a Certificate of Release
Requests for a Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien must be in writing. These should be mailed to IRS, Attn:
Advisory Group Manager. Use Publication 4235, Collection Advisory Group Addresses, to determine where to
mail your request. Send your written request with any required documents to the appropriate address.
Your request must contain the following information:
1. The date of your request,
2. The name and address of the taxpayer,
3. One copy of each Notice of Federal Tax Lien you want released,
4. Why the lien should be released, and
5. A telephone number with the best time for us to call you should we need additional information.
If you have paid the tax, enclose a copy of any of the following with your request:
1. An Internal Revenue receipt;
2. A canceled check;
3. A record of payment by electronic fund transfer; or
4. Any other acceptable proof of payment.
We may need to research your account to confirm you no longer have a liability. We will provide a release once
we have done so.
If you have an immediate or urgent need for a Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien, visit or telephone your
local IRS office. A list of local offices may be found on the IRS website at
Be prepared to show proof of payment.
You can pay any unpaid tax with a certified check, cashier’s check, or postal or bank money order to request
an immediate issuance of the certificate of release. For other forms of payment, the certificate of release will be
issued within 30 days of the liability being satisfied.
Publication 1450 (Rev. 4-2013) Catalog Number 10665H Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service


00 votes

Related Articles

Related forms

Related Categories

Parent category: Financial
Page of 2