SAMPLE COVER LETTER AND SAMPLE EMAILS TO HR STAFF
St. Apt. # 120
College Park, MD 20740
Name of Agency
City, State, Zip
Re: Job Title, Announcement
Dear Mr./Ms. _____________:
I am writing to express my interest in the intern program with the Army Corps of
Engineers. I learned of this opportunity through Kathryn Troutman, who has
done Resumix training workshops at the Army Corps of Engineers, and Shelia
Dent at the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center in Washington, DC. Ms. Dent told
me that you would be the person to contact for more information on internship
I recently graduated from the University of Maryland at College Park with a B.S.
in Mechanical Engineering. My GPA is 3.65/4.0 overall and 3.75/4.0 in
engineering classes. I am particularly interested in the Outstanding Scholars and
Internship Programs through USACE.
I would like to utilize some of the following skills with the Army Corps of
1. Knowledge of part/assembly creation, modeling and manufacturing in
Pro-Engineer CAD software.
2. Product design skills including test design, research and analysis, and
3. General understanding of engineering principles from my University of
4. Writing, research and analysis for projects.
5. Experience as a team leader and team member for many design and